Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Big wine drinker? Why not get crafty and re-use that bottle!

When pinterest first came out I have to admit I was OBSESSED with the website and found myself browsing it for hours. This current day I wouldn't call myself obsessed so to say, however when I think of an idea or need an idea for lets say a party, gardening or some house decor, I do turn to pinterest.  

Harry and I are having a get together this Friday to celebrate Flag Day. We are big into having a get together with family & friends whenever we have the chance to do so. Throughout the calendar year there are some crazy, bizarre national holidays for E V E R Y T H I N G and it just so happens to be that this Friday is Flag Day! If you are familiar with how a toga party operates, this is pretty much the same concept except you're wearing a flag instead. We are having everyone pick a country and they are to dress in that country's flag. {toga party= sheets, flag party=flags} Along with dressing in the country's flag everyone is to bring a signature dish or drink from that country.  


Wine Drinkers It's Time To Get Crafty!
...I love wine and always wanted to keep the bottles to do something with, but could never figure out what on earth to do with them. That is until I saw an interesting idea on pinterest! So I saved up a few wine bottles and am turning them into tiki torches! My goal is to eventually hang them along my fence posts, but for the time being they will be sitting on tables since the piece I am looking for (in order for them to hang) apparently is not in any hardware stores that I go to.... weird.
{It's super easy to make! }

What you need

1. empty bottle    Depends on your taste in wine :)
2. nylon plumbing tape 1/2"    $1.49
3. Top plate connector (3/8"-16 thread rod)   ??
4. 1" split Ring hanger (threaded 3/8"-16)   ?? <--- having difficulty finding
5.  1/2"x 3/8" copper coupling  $1.29
6. 1/2" copper cap  $0.69
7. Two hex nuts (3/8"-16 thread rod) $0.12/ nut
8. Two #10x1" zinc plated wood screws  $0.14/ screw
9. 3/8"-16 plated thread rod  $1.99 (I bought 3/8-16x1)
10. Tiki replacement wicks/Torch fuel  wicks- $1.99 (give or take)
                                                        Torch Fuel ~$5.00- $10.00 roughly

All I used to make my table torches:
I used numbers:  1, 2, 5, 10

Assembling:
* grab the coupling piece and the teflon tape
* wrap the tape around the larger rounded portion of the coupling piece a few times until it fits snug into the opening of the bottle, you don't want it to fall in
* fill up the bottle with torch fuel  (I used the OFF! torch fuel since the bugs around here are terrible)
* take the wick and stick it through the coupling from the underneath
* give the wick a few minutes or to soak up the fuel before lighting. 
* the copper cap is used to keep the wick dry, so when your done using your wine torch just place the cap on top of the wick

My final 'table' wine bottle torch:


Final product











Close up look at the top of the bottle



What I want final product to be:

Like I said previously, I am having one heck of a time trying to find the split ring hanger, but this is what I would like my final product to eventually look like.









If you want more information there are plenty of website online you can go to. 
I used the website: http://www.gerardotandco.com/blog/recycled-bottle-torch/


They say you can buy a kit to make it, but I'm sure it is much more cost effective to drink the wine, save the bottle, buy the products and do it yourself. But hey whatever floats your boat!


No comments:

Post a Comment