Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pickin' the strawberries

Our strawberries are certainly making there appearance the past few days and I have been picking them like crazy. One thing about strawberries is that if they are pink and white in color the next day they will be red and ready to pick, but after that either they are eaten by some random animal {or your own dog in my case half the time} or they start rotting right away. 

I have so many strawberries already I don't know what to do with them. I thought about ice cream, but seriously how strawberry ice creams am I going to have in my freezer?! The freezer is already stocked up with meats and other flavored ice creams currently, I can't possibly fit anymore. <unless we start eating more and fast>

strawberry ice cream
Strawberry muffins   
old fashion strawberry pie ?
chocolate strawberry torte ?
strawberry upside-down cake...  MmMmm
strawberry dessert crepes

The thoughts and recipes are endless, I mean just look at pinterest it gives you a million options and they all sound amazing...however, the only down side to this is that both my husband and I are currently doing  a low-carb diet for the next week and i feel like my joy of dessert making isn't going to be an option for these strawberries this week.... 
I mean they are amazing looking this year! They do say (I don't know who they are- farmers? strawberry growers?) the first year they aren't very big and are pretty small, which was true last year for us. But so far this year they are a pretty decent size! 

For those of you who never grew strawberries before please note that they are considered weeds and they will SPREAD! I should have contained them in a raised bed when I first planted them, but obviously did not think about it and they are now all over the place. Good thing I love berries.
 Same thing with my raspberry bushes... All over the place haha

My 1st picked berries this year! -->

<---

Why I took a picture of them in a red bowl is beyond me...

No comments:

Post a Comment